Sunday, October 22, 2017

Applicant FAQs

Below, we've compiled a list of FAQs regarding the Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP, formerly Section 8). Simply click on any question below to display the answer. If you have questions and the answer doesn't appear here, feel free to call or email us.

If I need an extension what do I do?

You need to submit your request in writing and submit it to NCHA along with a copy of your Housing Search Log.

Do I pay the security deposit?

Yes. You will be responsible for paying the full security deposit.

I found a bigger house. Can I pay the difference?

No. You must find an apartment within the requirements for the number of bedrooms you are eligible. You cannot make a side payment to the landlord.

What do I tell the landlord to fill out?

You should give the new landlord the brochure "Housing Choice Voucher Program" and have them complete the following documents as shown in your briefing book:

a. Request for Tenancy Approval (RTA)
b. Request for Tenancy Approval Check List
c. Disclosure of Information on Lead-Based Paint and/or Paint Hazards.

When this is completed return all three forms to NCHA.

How long will it take before my unit will be inspected?

It usually takes about two weeks for an apartment to be inspected once the RTA is returned.

When can I move in?

After the unit passes inspection and the Housing Authority has authorized you to move in.

When will I be assigned a caseworker?

You will be assigned a caseworker approximately one week after the unit is inspected.

How much will my rent be?

The total tenant payment will generally be 30% of your total household’s adjusted income (total income less the HUD allowed deductions). HUD defines total tenant payment as the amount you pay for utilities and rent, so your rent will be calculated as shown in Section V, page 5 of the briefing book.